Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Neglected "R" & Adult Literacy

When I look back at “The Neglected R” after reading I think how lucky I am to have been able to attend a school and learn new knowledge. Compared to history, school was only available to small elite in the United States. Ruminating on history curriculum has changed. Writing hasn’t been a main priority! Back in my early years of school my writing was not proficient because I wasn’t taught correctly. Going to through high school and college I had to learn to write and encourage myself to write because writing was used as a punishment. I do agree with the article that we should give more emphasizes to writing because that is one way we communicate. For “A Modern Profile of Adult Literacy” it is hard to say. Technology is a useful tool for many occasions. If we did not have technology I would more likely not have attended college. That is sad to say but very true. Technology has made work interesting and it’s reliable, majority of the time. We have to be literate in more than one fashion; we need to acquire knowledge of technology, communicate correctly, and write proficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment